Weekend outlook – Ring in spring at National Cherry Blossom Festival

File Photo Donna Armstrong | Senior Staff Photographer
Less than a mile from the National Mall, the National Cherry Blossom Festival’s Opening Ceremony will include music, dance and art performances by Japanese artists at the Warner Theater.

As the snow settles, kick off your weekend by cracking up at a stand up comedy show or singing along to your favorite pop tunes. Then, welcome spring and finish off the weekend at the District’s largest festival of the year.

Friday

Dulcé Sloan

Kick-off the weekend with one of comedy’s rising stars. Dulcé Sloan is an award winning stand up comedian known for her work as a correspondent on “The Daily Show with Trevor Noah” and performances on “Late with Conan O’Brien” and “The Steve Harvey Show.” Born in Miami and raised in Atlanta, Sloan was named one of the 10 comedians to watch by Rolling Stone last year. Known for her wild confidence and honesty, Sloan’s performances are largely based on her own life experiences and her unapologetic views of the American political climate.

Drafthouse Comedy, 1100 13th St. NW. 8:40 p.m. $20.

Saturday

Demi Lovato & DJ Khaled

She’s not sorry, and you shouldn’t be either for jamming out to this artist’s hits this weekend. Grammy nominated performer and actress Demi Lovato will be stopping by Capital One Arena on her 2018 tour with rapper and producer DJ Khaled. Lovato and Khaled will likely perform their recent single, “I Believe.” Promoting her most recent album “Tell Me You Love Me,” Lovato is set to play 51 concerts across North America, South America and Europe. If you’re lucky, Lovato will perform heart wrenching fan favorites like “Warrior” and “Skyscraper” or the more upbeat, “Give Your Heart A Break.”

Capital One Arena, 601 F St. NW. 7:30 p.m. Tickets start at $39.95.

Sunday

National Cherry Blossom Festival’s Opening Ceremony

On Sunday, welcome spring at one of the District’s biggest annual festivals. Less than a mile from the National Mall, the National Cherry Blossom Festival’s Opening Ceremony will include music, dance and art performances by Japanese artists. Musical performances include T.M. Revolution, a seasoned Japanese actor and singer and Akiko Yano, a pop musician with 27 original albums. The 6821 Quintet, a local D.C. group formed for the festival will also perform, and Japanese troupe Shodo Girls is set to amaze the crowd by completing a calligraphy piece while dancing to music. Miyako Taiko, a group of musicians from the local Mark H Rooney Taiko School, will perform Japanese drumming.

Warner Theater, 513 13th St. NW. 5 p.m. Free.