Snow shuts down GW and other city services

GW+announced+around+4%3A24+a.m.+that+classes+and+administrative+offices+would+be+closed+for+inclement+weather.+
GW announced around 4:24 a.m. that classes and administrative offices would be closed for “inclement weather.”

Updated: March 21, 2018 at 5:43 p.m.

A steady snowfall across the D.C. area forced GW, the federal government and other local spots to shut down Wednesday.

The University announced around 4:15 a.m. that classes and administrative offices would be closed for “inclement weather,” according to a GW Alert. The local and federal government also announced closures and city transportation is running on delays.

On the first official day of spring, Capital Weather Gang has reported total accumulations from 2 to 6 inches in the area with snow continuing to fall throughout the day.

Here’s a running list of the closures and delays around the District:

GW closes campus Wednesday

A University advisory said classes were canceled and offices closed Wednesday. The Foggy Bottom, Mount Vernon and Virginia Science and Technology campuses will shut down for students, faculty and all “non-essential employees.”

At about 4 p.m. Wednesday, officials sent a second GW Alert to announce that GW will open and operate on a normal schedule Thursday.

Vern Express service operates on delay

The Mount Vernon Express is running every 15 minutes until 8 p.m., which is subject to change if “roads worsen,” according to a tweet from the Mount Vernon Campus.

Limited city transportation

Metro trains will still run every 10 to 12 minutes, according to a tweet from Deputy Mayor Kevin Donahue.

But Metro buses are operating on a “severe snow plan,” which limits services to major roads only and cancels most normal routes, according to a release. All Maryland Area Regional Commuter and Virginia Railway Express trains are suspended, and the AMTRAK is running on a modified schedule, the tweet said.

D.C. Streetcar suspended its services because of ice “accumulating too rapidly,” according to a tweet from the service.

Metro announced changes to its schedule Tuesday in anticipation of the storm.

D.C. declares snow emergency

D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser declared a snow emergency for the District from March 21 at 9 a.m. until 7 a.m. March 22.

The emergency classification prevents drivers from parking in snow emergency routes, which are designated with red and white signs.

D.C. and federal governments closed

The D.C. government and the federal government both announced closures.

Federal government offices in the District, and multiple Virginia and Maryland counties are closed Wednesday. All White House public events were also canceled.

“If you must leave your homes, please be safe,” Bowser said in a tweet.

American, Howard and Georgetown universities closed

GW wasn’t the only university in the area to shut down. American, Howard and Georgetown universities are also closed Wednesday.

Local public schools are out, too

D.C. public schools are closed, but “essential personnel” are to report on time, according to a D.C. public schools tweet.

Public schools in Maryland are also closed, according to a tweet from Montgomery County.

This post will be updated as closures are announced.