Woman arrested after vehicle strikes White House security barrier

Law+enforcement+officers+were+gathered+around+a+white+van+on+17th+and+E+streets+that+appeared+to+have+its+back+window+shattered.+
Olivia Anderson | Photo Editor
Law enforcement officers were gathered around a white van on 17th and E streets that appeared to have its back window shattered.

A woman was taken into custody outside the White House Friday after her vehicle struck a security barrier, according to the U.S. Secret Service.

The vehicle hit the barrier located at 17th and E streets at about 3 p.m. The female driver was “immediately apprehended” by Secret Service officers, according to a series of tweets from the agency.

No law enforcement officers were injured and there were no shots fired during the incident, according to the agency. It was not immediately clear whether the crash was intentional.

MPD spokesman Dustin Sternbeck said the department responded to a report of a “suspicious vehicle” around 3 p.m. Friday.

University spokeswoman Maralee Csellar said the Secret Service has put all buildings on 17th Street, including the headquarters of the Corcoran School of the Arts and Design, on lockdown. The school’s main building is located across the street from where the crash reportedly took place.

The University sent a security alert at 3:30 p.m. warning of a “police investigation” on 17th Street and urging students to avoid the area.

The incident triggered a heavy police response in the area. The University Police Department, Metropolitan Police Department and the Secret Service were all at the scene of the crash Friday afternoon. Portions of E Street and New York Avenue near the White House were shut down as police investigated.

Law enforcement officers were gathered around a white van that appeared to have its back window shattered.