Weekend Outlook – Learn about an abolitionist icon outside of class lectures

Jack Fonseca | Hatchet Photographer
Listen to Tyler the Creator perform his critically acclaimed “Flower Boy” album Sunday night at The Anthem.

Start the last weekend of February with a history lesson on an abolitionist icon, then play some games on the National Mall and finish it all off with a concert from Tyler the Creator.

Friday

‘I AM Frederick Douglass’

Spend the last Friday of Black History Month learning about the life of the influential social reformer, Frederick Douglass, at the Lincoln Theatre. To commemorate Douglass’s 200th birthday, the historic theatre is presenting the performance “I AM Frederick Douglass,” which contains excerpts from the film “Emancipation to Enslavement,” and a panel discussion on the legacy left behind the life of the abolitionist author. It will also feature musical performances by the National Symphony Orchestra and a portrayal of Douglass by LeCount Holmes, Jr.

Lincoln Theatre, 1215 U St. NW. Doors open at 6 p.m. Free.

Saturday

Monopoly on the Mall

You’ve likely been to the National Mall, but here’s your chance to play a board game favorite. Play and beat your D.C. neighbors in a competitive, live-action version of Monopoly. Take off to the Smithsonian Museums and search for clues, collecting property related to the museum. Compete against other teams in fun challenges and find community chest items that will score you more points. Do not pass go without attending this event Saturday.

Begins at Ollie’s Trolley at 425 12th St. NW. Event is from 11:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. $20.

Sunday

Tyler the Creator at the Anthem

Listen to Tyler the Creator perform songs like “Boredom” of his latest release, the critically-acclaimed “Flower Boy” album Sunday night in the District. His show at The Anthem also features Taco, a former member of Odd Future, and Vince Staples, a powerful, genre-influencing force in the rap industry who recently released his second album, “Big Fish Theory.” Rap lovers and aspiring artists certainly don’t want to miss out on this show.

The Anthem, 901 Wharf St. SW. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. Show begins at 8 p.m. $45-55.