Celebrate closing ceremonies with Olympics specials around the District

Mike Shanahan | Hatchet Photographer
City Tap Penn Quarter’s bar, located at 901 Ninth St. NW, is offering a $20 “shot ski” while the U.S. men and women’s hockey teams compete in the Olympics.

With less than a week before the closing ceremonies of the 2018 Pyeongchang Winter Olympics, people across the world are crossing their fingers for their athletes to bring home gold medals.

But it doesn’t take a transpacific flight bound for South Korea to cheer them on. Several local places in the nation’s capital are offering food and drink specials this week to celebrate the global event.

Grab some cash and let the games begin. Here are some of the best ways to enjoy the last few days of the winter games this week:

City Tap House Penn Quarter
This special is tailored for hockey fans. Hop on over with a couple friends to City Tap Penn Quarter’s bar to do a “shot ski” for $20 while you watch the U.S. men and women’s hockey teams. After selecting your poison, the bartender will place several shot glasses on a ski so you and your friends’ lift the ski and simultaneously down your liquor. If team USA isn’t playing hockey, then you can still order the shot ski for $35.

901 Ninth St. NW. Thursday from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 a.m. and Friday through Sunday from 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 a.m.

Dirty Habit
Let your taste buds explore the myriad of Korean flavors and spices at the Kimpton Hotel’s restaurant, Dirty Habit. Through Sunday, executive chef Kyoo Eom is paying homage to his Korean heritage by offering a limited-time two course Korean dinner of guinea hen dumplings and spicy marinated pork for $35. At the bar, you can order a Kimchi bloody mary ($14) or a Let-it-Snoju cocktail ($13) – a concoction of soju, a Korean rice liquor, matcha-honey syrup and lemon juice prepared in a snowball-shaped glass to stay on theme.

555 Eighth St. NW. Sunday to Thursday from 5 to 10 p.m. and Friday and Saturday from 5 to 11 p.m.

Top of the Gate
If you think you have what it takes to be a hockey Olympian, put your skills to the test at the Watergate Hotel’s rooftop ice rink. Adults who manage to score a goal during the hotel’s daily hockey contests from 5 to 10 p.m. will earn a free drink from Top of the Gate bar. Sit back, relax and sip on one of the bar’s three specialty cocktails: a bourbon based “Gold” drink sprinkled with actual gold dust, a whiskey and lemon based “Silver” drink finished with silver pearls and a vodka and grenadine based “Bronze” cocktail served in a mule cup. All Olympic cocktails are priced at $16.

2650 Virginia Ave. NW. Every day from 5  to 10 p.m. through Sunday. Admission is free.

Wunder Garten
Starting at 6:30 p.m., Wunder Garden is hosting the Pyeongchang Thang Party during closing ceremonies Saturday. This beer garden is offering $10 Olympic-themed cocktails, including the Triple Lutz, the Curling Sweeper and the Downhill Chaser. D.C.-based DJ Lehi will be providing music and entertainment all night. Make sure to come decked out in your best winter sports gear – patrons with the best costume could win a gold medal.

1101 First St. NE. Saturday from 6:30 to 11 p.m. Admission is free.

All Set Restaurant and Bar
If you’re looking for a more casual sports bar to enjoy the last few days of the Olympics, All Set Restaurant and Bar is where you should head. The establishment is celebrating athletes by adding five specialty libations to its menu, a nod to the five Olympic rings. Enjoy an American hot toddy, an Italian-inspired amaretto coffee or a white Russian (all $8) while watching the games on one of the restaurant’s several flat-screen TVs.

8630 Fenton St., Plaza 5, Silver Spring, Md. Everyday from 11:30 a.m. to midnight.