Track programs finish last in indoor championships

Both men’s and women’s track and field finished in last place during the Atlantic 10 Indoor Track Championships in Kingston, R.I. last weekend.

The men finished 10th out of 10 teams and the women placed 13th out of 13.

The women scored just one point and fell two positions from last year’s 11th-place finish, but the men improved their total from four to 36 over the past year.

VCU won the women’s race and Rhode Island came in first for the men with scores of 122.5 and 204 respectively.

Despite the results, head coach Terry Weir said the event was about improving and bridging the gap between cross country and outdoor track – two things he said they accomplished.

“We accomplished the things we were going to do and then some, so I couldn’t be happier for our guys,” Weir said. “They competed great.”

The Colonials earned their first individual medals in program history. The men’s team earned a total of three individual medals with two gold medals and one bronze medal, along with one gold medal for the distance relay.

Both individual gold medalists broke personal records and program records.

On the first day of the meet, senior Carter Day set a new program of record of 8:18.93 in his gold-medal finish in the 3000-meter race, besting the previous program record by a little under six seconds.

The men’s distance relay team, consisting of sophomore Colin Wills and seniors Chris Shaffer, Ed Delavergne and Carter Day, also recorded a win for the team in a commanding fashion. The team finished with a time of 9:56.46, dismantling the previous A-10 record (10:08.63).

Shaffer’s milesplit of 4:08.93 was the fastest in A-10 distance medley relay history.

“We talked right about it when they got done with cross country season, our bus ride home from the cross country regional meet,” Weir said. “Those guys wanted to focus on the relay before their own individual events.”

Wills also earned a gold medal and set a program record with a time of 4:09.29 in the mile. Shaffer came in third and set a personal record with his time of 4:09.74.

The women’s track team also finished the meet with a few impressive individual performances.

In the mile, junior Halley Brown placed eighth with a time of 5:03.28, and senior Lauren t’Kint de Roodenbeke placed ninth (5:03.40). Sophomore Suzanne Dannheim placed 12th.