Rose McGowan cancels book talk at Jack Morton Auditorium

A book talk with Rose McGowan on campus Friday night was cancelled amid reports of McGowan arguing with a transgender woman at a previous event.

The event, hosted by Politics & Prose, was scheduled for Friday night in the Jack Morton Auditorium, but was cancelled earlier that afternoon in an email announcement. McGowan announced on Twitter the same day that she was canceling all upcoming public appearances.

Politics & Prose said in an email the event was cancelled due to “unforeseen circumstances,” and issued full refunds for tickets. Her memoir “Brave” was released Tuesday and discusses “systemic misogyny” in the entertainment industry.

University spokeswoman Amelia Thompson confirmed that the event was cancelled but declined to give any further information.

The event was set to be McGowan’s first public appearance since the incident, which occurred at a New York City Barnes & Noble Wednesday.

At the event, McGowan allegedly began shouting at a transgender woman who spoke out about McGowan’s controversial remarks on a podcast last year. McGowan later accused the heckler from the event of verbally assaulting her in a series of tweets. McGowan also alleged that the woman was a paid actor.

McGowan continued to defend herself on Twitter, criticizing the bookstore management’s “complicity.”

McGowan was set for multiple book talks in the coming months on a promotional tour for her book “Brave.”