Fight the flu with remedies delivered straight to your door

DMV soup delivery service Prescription Chicken’s bi-partisan chicken soup is carbo-loaded with enough matzah balls and noodles to satisfy both sides of the aisle.

The flu season this year is fierce and campuses across the country are trying to combat the epidemic.

But with the Colonial Health Center seeing double the number of flu cases than in previous years, for some students – it’s too late for preventative measures.

Being sick at school without home remedies or loved ones doting over you can be hard. But there’s no need to despair if you’ve been hit with the virus.

When you’re feeling under the weather – you’re not on your own. You can still experience care and comfort by ordering these three remedies that will deliver right to your door for those days when leaving your bed is out of the question.

Prescription Chicken
Quality soup has been a popular home remedy for everything from the common cold to the worst case of the flu, and Prescription Chicken will do the heavy lifting while you rest in bed.

Prescription Chicken is a local company founded by cousins Valerie Zweig and Taryn Pellicone, otherwise known as the Soup Ladies. The company delivers soup and specific remedy packages depending on how you’re currently feeling – as you order on their website, you’ll be given mood options such as sick, stressed or hungover.

The Super Sick Package will cater to all your flu needs, with a quart of their “grandma noodle” soup, which is a chicken soup with dill and ginger and another of their “grandma matzah ball” soup, a broth packed with fresh veggies, chicken and matzah balls. The package also comes stocked with a bottle of orange juice, tea, tissues, crackers and a homemade honey throat lozenge ($36). Extras like ginger ale, goldfish and mini challah balls are also available as add-ons for about $2 each.

Delivery through Prescription Chicken’s website, Uber Eats, Postmates, DoorDash, GrubHub and Caviar. Delivery prices vary.

Jinsei Juice
If you just can’t stomach anything hearty, Jinsei Juice has a liquid diet that will ease you into recovery. Jinsei Juice is located at Tyson’s Corner, but you don’t have to take the 25-minute Metro ride over to Virginia to get the cure for your ailing body.

They offer fresh and raw cold pressed eight and 16 ounce juices and tonics that will kick your immune system into overdrive, helping you battle the flu one sip at a time. The Resilient Tonic (eight ounces for $5.99 or 16 ounces for $9) comes with ingredients including turmeric, cardamom, coconut nectar and alkaline water – an anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory beverage that promotes healthy joints while assisting in recovery and boosting immunity. The Sunny Juice (eight ounces for $6.50 or 16 ounces for $9.50) is made with orange, grapefruit, carrot and ginger that will speed up recovery time, relieve bloating and support cardiovascular health.

If a full juice is too much on your achy stomach, then Jinsei Juice offers two-ounce shot options: the Refuel – made with wheatgrass, pineapple and orange – and the I’m Awake Shot, made with ginger, apple, lemon, lime, cayenne pepper – for $3 each. In addition to being organic, all ingredients are locally sourced, never pasteurized and non-GMO.

Delivery through Postmates. $5.99 flat rate, plus tax and fees.

CVS Pharmacy at your door
In your weakened condition, even a CVS run can feel like too much of a strenuous effort. But you can get all your cold and flu-fighting essentials without leaving your bed by ordering through Instacart.

Through Instacart, you can virtually shop a CVS pharmacy and browse for cold medicine, tissues, crackers, a thermometer, tea and anything else you may need to fortify your body on its journey to wellness. Your first delivery is free, and after that costs start at $5.99 or more during busy periods, plus the cost of the items you order. So take advantage of the free delivery as the flu continues to plague campus.

Delivery through Instacart. Free first delivery. $5.99 and up.