D.C. residents ranked most likely to ghost their dates, study finds

If your text messages have been left on read one too many times, it’s not you – it’s D.C.

D.C. has the highest number of single people compared to other American cities, but District residents are also more likely to ghost you, according to a survey released Tuesday.

Time Out, an international media and entertainment publication in various cities, had 15,000 residents in 32 major cities around the world score their area in categories like food, drink, culture, friendliness, dating, affordability and happiness to find the best cities to live in.

The study found that about two in five people are single in the District and of all the cities in the survey, D.C. had the largest amount of people using dating applications – 25 percent of people surveyed reported using a dating app within the last week. But Tinder users beware – your D.C. date is 75 percent more likely to stalk you on social media before meeting in person, according to the study.

Single D.C. residents also have the highest likelihood of being ghosted out of all of the cities surveyed at 52 percent. Which could be related to how D.C. tied with New York City as the most stressed out city in the world, according to the study.

Ranking No. 23 out of the 32 cities, D.C. overall is in the bottom half of the world’s best cities.

This year’s top three cities included Chicago ranking as the No. 1 city for the second year in a row and placing first in the food and drink categories. Porto, Portugal ranked second overall and is described as the “most heartwarming” city to live in with the best atmosphere to make friends and find love. New York City came in third and scored top rankings for having the world’s best nightlife.