Dish of the week: Ted’s Bulletin’s brown sugar and cinnamon Ted’s tart

Kevin Chen | Contributing Photo Editor
Ted’s Bulletin is a D.C. favorite with five locations around the DMV area, and the homemade brown sugar and cinnamon tarts are baked fresh daily.

If you’re sick of Pop-Tarts from a box and craving some sugar, Ted’s Bulletin bakes homemade Ted’s Tarts fresh daily in a variety of flavors.

Ted’s Bulletin is a D.C. favorite with five locations around the DMV area. There’s often a line winding down the street on weekends with people waiting to try their famed breakfast menu of classic diner dishes. They are known for entrees like Chicken n’ Biscuits ($11.89), the Walk of Shame Breakfast Burrito ($13.79) and the Crab Cake Benedict (market price).

The decor at Ted’s Bulletin makes you feel as if you’ve traveled back in time. The spot, which changed ownership last year, has a traditional diner vibe with leather booths for seating throughout and the restaurant even plays classic black-and-white movies as you dine.

The tarts (prices vary) come in flavors like strawberry, salted caramel and blueberry cheesecake that are much better than their boxed counterparts. All of the homemade flavors are delicious, but the brown sugar and cinnamon flavor stands above the rest.

The brown sugar and cinnamon tart mirrors the store bought variety only in name – because the filling of this homemade version is much more flavorful. Ted’s Bulletin skips the gooey filling you might think of when you imagine a Pop-Tart and adds grainy brown sugar with a dash of cinnamon, giving it a hint of clove flavor that is more reminiscent of grandma’s pie than a pre-packaged breakfast.

The tart itself is warm and flaky, as it’s been baked to perfection. The combination of the tart with the brown sugar and cinnamon is heavenly and provides richness that the sweeter, fruit-flavored tarts don’t have. Overall, the treat provides the perfect amount of sugar to start the day without being too sickly sweet.

If you order in the restaurant, you may be lucky enough to score a slightly warm tart right out of the oven. But if you’re caught up in the whirlwind of the beginning of a new semester, you can grab a few Ted’s tarts to go and stash them away in your room for when you’re in need of a sweet breakfast or snack.