Poke restaurant to replace Beef ‘N Bread in District House

HATCHET FILE PHOTO
Incoming freshman attending Colonial Inauguration this summer will have $25 to spend at the five dining vendors located in the basement of District House.

A new poke restaurant will replace Beef ‘N Bread in District House in the coming weeks, according to a release from the restaurant Friday.

Onolicious Poke, co-created by the owner of Wiseguy Pizza, will accept GWorld dining dollars and serve freshly-cut fish, rice and seaweed. Poke, a traditional Hawaiian raw fish salad mixed with sauce atop rice and other toppings, has grown in popularity around the District in recent years.

Nuri Erol, the co-owner of Onolicious Poke and the head of Wiseguy Pizza, said he is planning for the restaurant to open by Feb. 1, “but it’s not guaranteed.” He said the District House spot will be the first and only location of Onolicious Poke.

GW Dining also tweeted the announcement Friday.

Beef ‘N Bread, which also had the same owners as Wiseguy Pizza, is already closed, Erol said. Beef ‘N Bread was one of five inaugural restaurants when the District House basement opened.

“BNB closed because it wasn’t the right concept for GW,” Erol said in an email.

The fresh fish at the new spot will be prepared in the District House location by an “experienced team,” the release said.

“My approach will be the same as always which is to observe the cultural values surrounding the food and deliver an experience with value,” co-owner Can Yurdagul, who also owns D.C.’s Sushi Capitol, Sushi Ogawa and Mirai, said in the release.