Shooting reported near GW Hospital

Updated: Jan. 9, 2018 at 10:35 p.m.

Officers from the Metropolitan Police Department responded to a shooting at 23rd and Eye streets Tuesday night, according to a GW Alert.

The alert, sent around 8:18 p.m., advised students to stay clear of GW Hospital while officers responded to the incident. Possible suspects included two black males, one with dreadlocks and the other wearing a hood, according to the alert.

MPD Officer Sean Hickman said an adult male shooting victim “walked into GW Hospital” Tuesday night. Hickman said the victim is “conscious and breathing.”

Susan Griffiths, a hospital spokeswoman, said in an email that the hospital was briefly placed on lockdown but quickly returned to normal operations.

“GW Hospital took immediate measures to ensure the safety of our patients, visitors and employees,” Griffiths said.

Hickman said MPD is looking for a black male, 29 to 30 years old and roughly 5 feet 8 inches tall, wearing a black sweater, vest and blue jeans. He said the shooting was reported to MPD at about 7:47 p.m.

The possible suspect was last seen headed toward Washington Circle Tuesday night, Hickman said.

“This was possibly an isolated incident and we do not see any danger to the public at this time,” according to an email from police officials sent at 9:05 p.m.

MPD was at the hospital investigating because the victim was shot “near the front lobby,” the email said. Officials said in the email that the hospital was still open and fully functioning.

The shooting appeared to be a result of an argument between two individuals, according to another email from police officials.

This post will be updated as more details become available.