Dish of the week: A Baked Joint’s biscuit sammie

A+Baked+Joints+homemade+biscuit+breakfast+sandwich+stands+out+from+the+rest+and+is+sweetly+called+a+sammie+by+the+cafe.+
Courtesy of A Baked Joint
A Baked Joint’s homemade biscuit breakfast sandwich stands out from the rest and is sweetly called a sammie by the cafe.

A Baked Joint, the sister restaurant of Georgetown’s Baked & Wired, is located just off K Street and serves simple but delicious breakfast, lunch and dessert choices to complement their wide ranging coffee and tea menu.

In their large and airy space, you’ll often find customers typing away on a laptop or with their head buried in a book between bites. The white walls, wooden furniture and large glass windows give the spot an effortless aesthetic. With both regular and communal tables along with stools by the window, there’s never a shortage of seating.

The shop serves up breakfast and lunch everyday during the week, but by night the menu transforms from small bites to booze, beer and pizza made with small-batch homemade dough from Thursday through Saturday.

Start off your meal with A Baked Joint’s in-house nitro cold brew ($3.50) or if you have a long day ahead, spice things up with their Cider Bellini ($9) made with apple cider, amaretto, prosecco and rosemary. But if coffee and cocktails aren’t your taste, opt for a sweet Mango Green Tea ($3.75) or spicy Mayan Chai ($3.75), which is a black tea blended with cinnamon, cardamom, ginger cloves and a hint of black pepper.

The food menu ranges from sweet crème brûlée french toast ($12) to a savory open faced baguette with scallion cream cheese, tomato and fried capers ($10.75). But the dish that stands out the most is their biscuit breakfast sandwich, that the shop sweetly calls a biscuit sammie.

The biscuits are made fresh daily and the limited daily quantity is sometimes cleared out by customers – so you know they are a huge hit. Flavors vary daily, but the rosemary and goat cheese biscuit ($3.75) is fragrant and delicious, putting their other biscuits to shame. Though flavors rotate, you can always find biscuits with some type of herb and goat cheese and one with meat and cheese baked inside.

The rosemary and goat cheese biscuit melts in your mouth. The rosemary adds an unexpected yet tasty flare and the goat cheese adds a perfect amount of creaminess to compliment the flaky biscuit. Order the biscuit on its own, or turn it into their classic “sammie” with a perfectly fried egg and a thin layer of mayonnaise ($5.50).

With the egg and mayonnaise, the biscuit transforms from a snack into a filling meal. The egg warms the bread and adds a bit of crispiness, while the mayonnaise is smooth and melts into the biscuit. Add on cheddar cheese ($1), applewood smoked bacon ($3) or country ham ($3) for a little something extra.

If you find yourself yearning for a mock study session over winter break, make your way to A Baked Joint and fuel up with a warm biscuit sammie and a good book.