Weekend outlook – Spend Christmas Eve cheering on a water skiing Santa

Kevin Chen | Contributing Photo Editor
The newly opened District Wharf will light its 55-foot Christmas tree Friday and illuminate the waterfront with thousands of lights at this inaugural holiday tradition.

The countdown is on. Spend the last few days before Christmas catching a show at the Kennedy Center, caroling on The Wharf or watching a Santa-themed water skiing show.

Friday

Mr. Popper’s Penguins

Kick off the weekend with a sense of nostalgia by watching a musical adaptation of the childhood classic, “Mr. Popper’s Penguins.” Made into a popular film in 2011, the story follows small-town painter and decorator Mr. Popper, who receives a mysterious package of penguins one day. Watch Mr. Popper’s life turn upside down as his feathered guests help him repair broken relationships with his family. The production is presented by Casa Mañana Theater, a Broadway and children’s theater company out of Texas, and has been performed throughout the country. Sit back, relax and embrace the catchy musical numbers that will inevitably get stuck in your head.

The John F. Kennedy Center for Performing Arts. 2700 F St. NW. Shows starting at 1:30 p.m. or 4 p.m. Tickets from $25 to $30.

Saturday

Christmas Caroling with the Gay Men’s Chorus

Bundle up and make your way to the Southwest waterfront for a night of singing. Even if you can’t hold a tune, the Gay Men’s Chorus will be performing festive songs to get you in the holiday spirit. Treat yourself with s’mores at a fire pit while you sing along and enjoy the area’s light displays. Take that perfect photo in front of the lighted Christmas tree, or pose for an obligatory photo with Santa Claus, who will be making a special appearance for the night.

Wharf Street, District Square. 7 to 8 p.m. Free.

Sunday

The Longest-Running Water Ski Christmas Show

Finish up the weekend with an unexpected holiday activity at a Christmas-themed water skiing show. This will be the 33rd year that Santa Claus visits Alexandria before the gift-giving begins later that night on Christmas Eve. In what started as a bet between a group of friends, more than 20 people from around the District volunteer each year to dress up like Santa to waterski, drive boats and lead Christmas carols for this annual show. Watch Santa Claus and even a few elves water ski from your seat along the waterfront, just far enough away from the ice-cold Potomac River.

Old Town Alexandria Waterfront. Cameron Street. Alexandria, Va. 1 p.m. Free.