Knapp cracks list of millionaire college presidents

Former University President Steven Knapp’s paycheck landed him among the top 50 highest-paid presidents at private universities in 2015.

Knapp earned more than $1.2 million in 2015, putting him at No. 35 in a ranking of highest-paid executives at 600 private colleges published by The Chronicle of Higher Education this week.

The analysis uses statistics from 2015, the most recent year 990 tax forms filed by private universities are publicly available.

Knapp is one of 59 private university presidents who earned more than $1 million in 2015. Around $900,000 of his total compensation consisted of base salary, and he earned nearly $350,000 in bonuses. He stepped down as university president last summer after a decade-long tenure.

Knapp dropped several spots in the highest-paid list this year, down from No. 27 in 2014. That year he earned nearly $1.2 million.

As provost and chief budget officer at the University of Miami, current University President Thomas LeBlanc earned almost $850,000 in 2015. Donna Shalala, then the president of the University of Miami, was paid nearly $1.5 million.

LeBlanc’s compensation at GW won’t be known until the University’s 2017 tax forms are released.

University presidents at ten peer schools earned more than Knapp. James Wagner, the president of Emory University, took home more than $3.5 million in total compensation, the most of GW’s 18 peer schools and the second-most in the nation. Syracuse University President Kent Syverud was the lowest-paid university president out of GW’s peers, earning nearly $850,000 in 2015.

During Knapp’s presidency, he received his largest yearly compensation in 2012, earning $1.28 million.