Weekend outlook – Finish Thanksgiving break and move on to other holiday-themed events

Derek Long | Staff Photographer
CityCenterDC holds a holiday tree lighting after Thanksgiving every year to kick off the holiday season. Catch the lighting this weekend at 6 p.m.

Enjoy the last few days of Thanksgiving break with pop culture-inspired performances and festive events that will help you quickly move on to the next holiday.

Friday

NSO Pops: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets in Concert

More than five years after the last movie release, the Harry Potter film series continues to influence fans around the world. This weekend, dive back into the wizarding world with an orchestra performance of the second film, “Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.” The National Symphony Orchestra will perform sections of the film’s score while the audience watches the film in high definition on a giant screen above the orchestra.

Kennedy Center, 2700 F St. NW. 10 p.m. Tickets start at $29.

Saturday

CityCenterDC Holiday Tree Lighting

CityCenterDC holds a holiday tree lighting after Thanksgiving every year to kick off the Christmas season. Holiday treats will be served and groups like the Gay Men’s Chorus of D.C. and the Cardinal Shehan School Choir from Baltimore – who went viral this year for the middle schooler’s uplighting performance of “Rise Up” – will perform. Balloon artists, face painters and holiday activities at the lighting offer an ideal place to enjoy the post-Thanksgiving break if your family is in town. Following the festivities, there will be an official lighting ceremony and countdown for the 75-foot holiday tree.

The Park at CityCenter, 10th St. and New York Ave. NW., 6 to 7 p.m.

Sunday

Disney’s The Lion King

If you stayed in the District for Thanksgiving break, add a trip to your staycation and spend Sunday in Baltimore. You can catch a matinee show of The Lion King as the broadway performance group travels to the DMV area to the France-Merrick Performing Arts Center. The musical tells the familiar story of Simba, a young lion who is in line to succeed his father as King of the Pride Lands. The musical has received critical acclaim since it debuted in 1997 and takes you on an adventure stretching the boundaries of Broadway to the heart of the African plains.

Hippodrome at France-Merrick Performing Arts Center, Baltimore, Md. 1 p.m. Tickets start at $65.