Man arrested for unlawful entry in Shenkman Hall

A man was arrested for unlawful entry in Shenkman Hall Friday night after he was barred from campus property earlier that same day, according to a Metropolitan Police Department report.

Around 11:45 p.m., University Police Department officer Allan Wallace Jr. spotted Kwan Cobbs, 28, seated in the Shenkman Hall food court and requested additional officers to assist in an arrest, according to the report. Cobb had been issued a barring notice for unlawfully entering Shenkman Hall earlier that day at approximately 3:32 a.m., the report states.

The responding officers commanded Cobbs to leave the food court area and to place his hands behind his back, the report states.

Cobbs began to act belligerent and did not cooperate with the officers. An officer grabbed Cobbs’ arm in an attempt to arrest him, but Cobbs pulled away. Officers then asked Cobbs to “get on the ground,” but he refused, according to the report.

Police then forced the man to the ground and placed him under arrest at about 1:16 a.m. He was transported to MPD’s Second District station.

Cobbs pleaded not guilty to charges of assault on a police officer and unlawful entry in D.C. Superior Court Monday. He will appear in court again Dec. 4 for a mental observation hearing, according to court documents.