Alumna, former think tank vice president to lead media relations office

Lindsay Hamilton, an alumna and former vice president for a D.C. think tank, will lead the GW’s media relations office, according to a University release Friday.

Hamilton, who graduated from GW in 2004 with a bachelor’s degree in international affairs and political science, will oversee the University’s media strategy and advise University President Thomas LeBlanc and Provost Forrest Maltzman in her role as chief spokeswoman and executive director of media relations, according to the release.

β€œIt’s a privilege to return to a place that means so much to me. I know firsthand that history is made on this campus, and I look forward to working with students, faculty and staff to promote GW in the media,” she said in the release.

Hamilton served most recently as the chief of staff and vice president of the Center for American Progress, a non-partisan, progressive policy institute. Prior to that role, she was the director of media strategy at the think tank, and also held roles on Capitol Hill as the spokesperson for a New York member of the House of Representatives.

“Her wide range of media, Washington, international and leadership experience will be a great asset to the Division of External Relations and the University. As an alumna, Lindsay will be able promote GW research and scholarship with a special perspective,” Lorraine Voles, the vice president for external relations, said in the release.

Hamilton replaced Candace Smith, who joined the media relations team as the executive director in 2009. Smith stepped down from her role over the summer and was announced as the University of Colorado Boulder’s assistant vice chancellor for media relations in August.

Maralee Csellar, the director of media relations, has served as interim executive director of media relations since July.