Non-profit veteran to serve as community relations director

Kevin Michael Days, a veteran of non-profit groups across the District, will serve as GW’s new director of community relations, according to a University release Thursday.

Days, who worked most recently as a consultant for Serve D.C., a city-run volunteer and service agency, will manage communication between the University and local residents. He will develop, lead and implement outreach efforts to communities surrounding the Foggy Bottom, Mount Vernon and Virginia Science and Technology campuses, according to the release.

“I am looking forward to getting to know all of our fellow community members and continue the progress that GW’s Office of Community Relations has built,” Days said in the release.

Days previously served as director of finance and operations for Sustainable Futures Public Charter School in D.C. He also worked with Achieve, an effort created by governors and business leaders to increase college and career readiness for grade school students.

Days’ predecessor, Britany Waddell, stepped down from her position Sept. 1 to pursue a government role in Calvert County, Md. Her departure – the third from the Office of Government Relations in just over a year – stirred concern among neighbors, who feared they would lose allies at the University.

Neighborhood events like the annual senior prom and Foggy Bottom and West End Neighborhood Block Party were not held this year following the departures.

Renee McPhatter, the assistant vice president for government and community relations, said the University is “deeply committed to the success and vitality of the neighbors” in the Foggy Bottom community.

“Kevin understands how strong relationships between neighbors and universities will be beneficial,” McPhatter said in the release.