Weekend outlook – Catch a comedy performance just steps from campus

The Smithsonian will hold a Day of the Dead concert at the National Museum of the American Indian Sunday afternoon.

Halloweekend may be over, but noteworthy happenings around the District will continue. Although far less spooky, this weekend offers plenty of must-see events from comedy shows to concerts.

Friday

John Mulaney at DAR Constitution Hall

In the midst of the success of his new comedy show “Big Mouth,” comedian John Mulaney is at DAR Constitution Hall this weekend on his current tour “Kid Gorgeous.” The former SNL writer and Netflix standup specialist, who earned fame for his popular story about meeting former President Bill Clinton as a kid, will be in the District performing two shows a day, Friday through Sunday, at 7 and 10 p.m. According to his website, which is adorned with a picture of Mulaney in a halo, tickets are still available for Friday’s late show.

DAR Constitution Hall, 1776 D St. NW. Friday 10 p.m. Tickets $25 to $35.

Saturday

Native Heritage Month: Day of the Dead Concert

If you’re searching for a fun way to celebrate Mexican culture and prolong your Halloween celebrations, then look no further than the Smithsonian metro stop. The Smithsonian will be holding a Day of the Dead concert at the National Museum of the American Indian Sunday afternoon. Grammy-nominated folk group Sones de México Ensemble from Chicago will be performing at the Potomac Atrium as a part of a joint celebration by the National Museum of the American Indian and the Smithsonian Latino Center to celebrate Day of the Dead as well as Native American Heritage month.

Smithsonian National Museum of the American Indian, 4th St. & Independence Ave. SW. 3 p.m. Free.

Sunday

Busboys & Poets Presents: Butterscotch and Be Steadwell

Hop on the Metro and head to Busboys & Poets in Takoma to hear the winner of the first World Hip Hop Beatbox Women’s Championship, Butterscotch. The famous beatboxer will be joined by the District’s own, self-proclaimed Queer pop singer, Be Steadwell. She is a filmmaker as well as a songwriter who received a master’s of fine arts from Howard University and has performed at various venues in the area. Butterscotch, who started her career in beatbox battles and was a finalist on America’s Got Talent in 2007, has traveled all over the world, opening for artists ranging from rapper Wyclef Jean to the popular ’70s band Earth, Wind & Fire. Catch the duo performing together Sunday evening at Busboys & Poets.

Busboys & Poets Takoma, 235 Carroll St. NW. Sunday 7 p.m. Tickets $15 to $20.