Dish of the week: Farmers Fishers Bakers’ impossible burger

The Impossible Burger, made of just plants and genetically engineered to taste like beef, is being served at all of the Founding Farmers restaurants.

Sometimes there is a reason why things are called impossible.

The Impossible Burger is a vegetable burger that is genetically modified with vegetables to look, taste and behave like a real hamburger. It’s being served at all of the Founding Farmers restaurants, as well as their sister restaurants, Farmers Fishers Bakers and Farmers & Distillers.

This imposter burger is produced by Silicon Valley-based Impossible Foods, and gets its meat-like color and flavor from natural ingredients like coconut oil, potato protein and heme — a protein found in the root of soy plants.

As a devoted meat lover, I was skeptical of this burger. However, I decided to set aside my preconceived notions that nothing could ever beat the taste of a classic patty made from ground beef and give it a try.

The Impossible Burger can be served as a substitute for the meat patty on any of Farmers Fishers Bakers’ regular hamburgers for just one dollar extra. I opted for the all-American double burger ($11) without the cheese, so my meal was entirely vegan.

I was hesitant to take the first bite, even though the Impossible Burger had the same appearance as a regular burger. Once I finally took the first bite, I was surprised. This imitation burger had some redeeming qualities.

The burger was anything but bland. It was filled with various spices that gave it a nice kick. In the flavor category, the burger did meet the standards of a real burger. But overall, the burger’s not juicy enough to convert true meat lovers.

The burger definitely did not act like a real hamburger. The sauce that was served on the side added a nice consistency and strong vinegar flavor, while the tomato added a nice crunch, but neither made up for the dryness of the burger. And the Impossible Burger was nowhere near as plump as a regular hamburger.

I wouldn’t trade meat for this vegetarian burger anytime soon, but it’s edible for the occasional meatless Monday.