RHA expands cleaning supply rental program to Mount Vernon Campus

The Residence Hall Association’s cleaning supply program was debuted last spring in Amsterdam Hall.

The Residence Hall Association is expanding its cleaning supplies rental program to the Mount Vernon campus.

The program, piloted last spring in Amsterdam Hall, provides students with free access to cleaning supplies like mops, dusters and vacuums. After a successful launch, student leaders and officials said they expanded the program to Eckles Library on the Mount Vernon Campus earlier this month, according to RHA’s website.

RHA President Rachel Metz said the program helps cash-strapped students afford basic necessities for their residence hall rooms and that the program was expanded to the Vern to give all students easy access to those supplies.

“We heard resident feedback, knowing it’s challenging to bring those bulky items on the Vex,” she said. “So how can we facilitate for all residents equal access to cleaning supplies? We’d like everyone’s rooms to have less dust and mold.”

RHA provides the cleaning supplies in a partnership with the Division of Operations, Metz said.

RHA Director of Operations Andrée Maling said the organization spent the summer finding a location for the program’s expansion and considered options like Somers Hall and package services in the basement of West Hall.

Students can access the supplies for free by showing a GWorld card, but returning an item past the 24-hour deadline leads to a $25 charge and then a $100 fine if supplies are broken or not returned at all. But Maling said that has not yet been an issue.

“It was very achievable for us to accomplish,” Maling said. “As RHA, it’s about making every hall home, and doing what we can to make it easier for students.”

Brianne Thompson-Martin, the operations coordinator for GW Housing, said 12 students have rented supplies from the Foggy Bottom location so this semester, about the same amount as last spring when the program was debuted.

University spokesman Brett Zongker said the Division of Operations worked with RHA on the initiative because “the price of some items used for a ‘deeper’ clean can be a challenge” for students and the program aims to relive those financial burdens.

“Both RHA and Division of Operations are pleased this expansion to the Mount Vernon Campus makes the program available to even more freshmen who have previously expressed the most interest in this program,” he said in an email.

Zongker said the groups will begin promoting the program’s expansion by hosting promotional contests on social media in the coming weeks.

“The University is pleased with the initial reception to this program and will continue to work with RHA on this and many other initiatives that aim to enhance the residential hall experience of our students,” he said.