Weekend Outlook – Immerse in D.C. culture with concerts, film festival

Catch a film – or three – at the annual Reel Affirmations Film Festival, presented by the D.C. Center for the LGBT Community at the GALA Hispanic Theatre this weekend.

Explore D.C.’s wide array of cultural activities this weekend. Watch a classic improv comedy show down at the Kennedy Center, jam out to Zedd’s EDM mixes at a brand new music venue or support the LGBTQ community at a local film festival.

Friday

The Second City’s When Life Gives you Clemens

Start off your weekend with a laugh at Second City’s “When Life Gives you Clemens.” After more than 50 years of improv comedy theatre, Second City has become one of the most well known and beloved comedy troupes. This Friday, they’re bringing Mark Twain’s unique sense of humor to the Kennedy Center. Sometimes sour, sometimes satirical – when life gives you lemons, go see some improv comedy.

Kennedy Center, 2700 F St. NW. Shows at 7 p.m. and 9 p.m. Tickets $39-60.

Saturday

Zedd

Rock out on Saturday night with Zedd at a massive EDM concert down at The Anthem, which opened last week. Zedd has topped the chart with consistent smash hits, and most recently with his collaboration with Alessia Cara, “Stay.” Grey, one of the artists opening the show is Grey, an electronic music duo that you might recognize from their song “Starving,” featuring Hailee Steinfeld. One of the other openers is Lophiile, another up-and-coming electronic artist and producer who has worked with artists like Zedd and PVRIS in the past.

The Anthem, 901 Wharf St. SW. Doors 6:30 p.m. Show starts at 8 p.m. $41-76.

Sunday

Reel Affirmations Film Festival

Catch a film or three at the annual Reel Affirmations Film Festival, presented by the D.C. Center for the LGBT Community. With 11 different movies and an eclectic mix of documentaries, short films and full length features, there’s something for everyone at this festival. Try checking out a romantic drama “Apricot Groves” at 3 p.m. or the lighter, more comedic “Freakshow” at 5 p.m. After the movie, you can stick around to attend a panel. The Filmmaker Reception Sunday night starts at 11 p.m. and offers an opportunity to ask questions about the filmmaking process while enjoying cocktails and snacks.

GALA Hispanic Theatre, 3333 14th St. NW. Thursday 7 to 11 p.m., Friday 7 to 11 p.m., Saturday 5 p.m. to 12 a.m. and Sunday 1 to 7 p.m. $12.