Officials announce some destinations for departments moved out of Old Main

Sam+Hardgrove+%7C+Assistant+Photo+Editor+
Sam Hardgrove | Assistant Photo Editor

Updated: Oct. 17, 2017 at 5:04 p.m.

The provost’s office announced several destinations for academic departments forced out of their offices by the planned 2100 Pennsylvania Ave. project at a Faculty Senate meeting Friday.

Last month officials announced that most central administrators currently housed in Rice Hall would be relocated to Old Main and Alumni House by the end of next year, forcing academic departments and programs in those buildings into new locations.

Teresa Murphy, the deputy provost for academic affairs, said at the meeting that many of these departments would be temporarily housed in 2100 Pennsylvania Ave., which would be used as “swing space,” before it’s emptied by June 2019. The building will then be combined with Rice Hall to create a retail and commercial complex generating revenue for GW.

She said some faculty and administrators may have smaller offices or even no offices during the moving process.

“What is going on now is a very complicated move that I will say up front is disruptive for everyone,” Murphy said at the meeting.

She said most programs and departments previously housed in Old Main had already been cleared out. The Disaster and Humanitarian Relief Institute, part of the Elliott School of International Affairs, the Institute for Communitarian Policy Studies, the Professional Psychology Clinic, Faculty Senate staff, the anthropology department’s discourse lab and some administrators in the Graduate School of Education and Human Development are now temporarily located in 2100 Pennsylvania Ave.

Murphy said the geography department, formerly housed in Old Main, had been temporarily relocated to Philips Hall.

The geography department will eventually move permanently into Samson Hall, located next to Corcoran Hall on 21st Street. Murphy said the first floor of Samson Hall, after the building is renovated, will house the theatre and dance department’s costume shop and design studio and the geography department’s GIS lab. The second and third floors will be home to the museum studies and geography programs.

The Roosevelt Papers, formerly located in Old Main, will eventually move to the Mount Vernon Campus. Murphy said other departments may have to move away from Foggy Bottom to either the Mount Vernon Campus or Virginia Science and Technology Campus, though not all locations have yet been determined.

This post was updated to reflect the following correction:
The Hatchet incorrectly reported Teresa Murphy’s title. She is the deputy provost for academic affairs. We regret this error.