Weekend outlook – Explore free art and technology events across the District

Hadley Chittum | Photographer
The Freer and Sackler galleries, which have been closed for renovations since January 2016, are reopening to the public Saturday.

Whether you’re interested in technology, music or art, you’re bound to come across an event in the District this weekend that meets your interests. From examining ancient cultures to exploring the future of scientific innovation, check out these free events this weekend.

Friday

Multiflora Music Festival

Multiflora Productions, a D.C.-based music production agency, is hosting a multicultural music festival throughout the month of October to highlight the history, culture and artistic expressions of the international, immigrant and global communities within D.C. Mdou Moctar, a self-taught guitarist and musician from Niger, will be performing at Georgetown University Oct. 13. Moctar traveled to Nigeria in 2008, where he recorded his first album, “Anar.” Since then, he has released an international album, “Afelan,” and has starred in the first ever Tuareg language film. He and his accompanying trio will perform a set of original compositions in the Tuareg language.

Georgetown University, McNeir Auditorium. O and 37th streets NW. Event starts at 1:15 p.m. Free.

Saturday

IlluminAsia: Freer and Sackler Galleries Reopening

The Freer and Sackler galleries, which have been closed for renovations since January 2016, are reopening to the public Saturday. The galleries house a vast display of Asian art to show visitors Asian culture throughout various points in time. The reopening will be marked by a weekend-long celebration. On Saturday and Sunday, the museums’ grounds will be transformed into a night market where visitors can experience the culture of Asia through food stalls, live music and performances. The festival will feature live music by members of the Silkroad Ensemble and interactive cooking lessons. Additionally, visitors will see a series of new temporary exhibits including an interactive exhibit exploring ancient Chinese bells, an exhibit featuring Buddhist art and an exhibit revolving around luxury metalwork from ancient Iran.

Freer and Sackler galleries, 1050 Independence Ave., SW. Saturday 5 p.m. to 12 a.m.; Sunday 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Free.

Sunday

ACCelerate Festival: ACC Smithsonian Creativity and Innovation Festival

Virginia Tech and the Smithsonian’s National Museum of American History will come together to hold the first annual ACCelerate Festival — a celebration of creativity, exploration and research. The festival is an opportunity for Atlantic Coast Conference universities to showcase their work to the public. Friday through Sunday, visitors will be able to speak with innovators and view interdisciplinary technology designed to address global challenges, like civic engagement, sustainability and advanced manufacturing. An electric chamber orchestra, where instruments are processed through a computer with a technician applying various effects in real time, will also perform. This festival is a great opportunity for anyone interested in seeing how technology can be used for both creative and practical purposes.

The National Museum of American History (West Wing), 1300 Constitution Ave., NW. Sunday from 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Free.