Trump nominates law professor to military appellate court

President Donald Trump nominated a law school professor to a federal judgeship Thursday.

Gregory Maggs, a professor of law and co-director of GW’s National Security and U.S. Foreign Relations Law Program, was nominated to serve on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces, according to a White House press release.

The court has worldwide jurisdiction over active-duty members of the U.S. military or matters related to U.S. military law. Judges serve 15-year terms after being nominated by the president and approved by the Senate, according to the court’s website.

His nomination is part of the eighth wave of judicial appointments from the White House this year, according to the release.

Maggs began working at GW in 1993 and has served as the interim dean of the law school and the senior associate dean for academic affairs. In 24 years, he has received the law school’s Distinguished Faculty Award nine times and George Washington Award for outstanding service in 2012, according to his GW biography.

At GW, Maggs teaches constitutional law, counterterrorism, military justice and national security law, according his biography.

After graduating from Harvard College and Harvard Law School, he worked as a law clerk for Supreme Court Justices Clarence Thomas and Anthony Kennedy and has taught for two years at the University of Texas School of Law.

Maggs now serves as a colonel in the U.S. Army Reserve, Judge Advocate General’s Corp. – after being commissioned in 1990 – and worked as a reserve trial and appellate military judge from 2007 until this year, according to his biography.