Men’s soccer draws UMBC 1–1 after scoring early goal

Julia+Abriola+%7C+Hatchet+Photographer+
Julia Abriola | Hatchet Photographer

The result from Saturday’s matchup between men’s soccer and UMBC left both teams wanting more.

In a grueling double-overtime game, neither team was able to find the net a second time, resulting in a 1–1 draw between the Colonials (2-3-1) and the Retrievers (4-1-1).

“I thought it was good, I thought we battled well, it’s just frustrating again that we couldn’t close the game out and get the win,” freshman forward Oscar Haynes Brown said.

Haynes Brown tallied the team’s only goal in the game, and the squad’s only first-half goal of the season. He now leads the team with three goals in just four games played.

“Wasn’t my best goal today but a goal is a goal so I was happy with it,” Haynes Brown said.

GW took 16 shots and junior goalkeeper Thor Arne Höfs tallied nine saves by the end of the game. Haynes Brown led the team with four shots to his name, while senior midfielders Christian Lawal and Oliver Curry both tallied three a piece.

“We’re gradually improving we’ve just got to put the pieces together,” Haynes Brown said. “We’re nearly there, so keep doing what we’re doing, play like we did in the first half and we should do well.”

High pressure from the Retrievers sent the Colonials scrambling in the first 10 minutes of the game. They were unable to get a solid passing pattern established as the ball was constantly bouncing around in the middle of the field.

After receiving a throw in from sophomore defender Colin Anderson in the 19th minute, Lawal headed the ball past UMBC’s goalkeeper off the post. Haynes Brown followed the deflection with a header of his own into the open net.

The Colonials continued creating opportunities to score in the first 45 minutes, but were unable to capitalize. With 17 minutes left in the first, Haynes received a through-ball from Lawal, but his shot was deflected by UMBC’s goalkeeper.

At the break, GW was getting outshot by the Retrievers 8-6.

“We’ve been starting games a little bit slow, we let up a couple early goals starting this season but I think as today showed, we can buckle down and in the first half we definitely outplayed them,” redshirt senior defender Ben Ogedegbe said.

Seconds after the whistle blew to start the second half, a foul called on the Colonials gave the Retrievers a free kick just outside the penalty box that required Höfs to make a diving save.

Tensions reached a boiling point four minutes later, when sophomore midfielder Drini Redzepi was awarded a yellow card for a hard foul, giving UMBC a free kick just outside and to the right of the 18-yard box.

As the ball was soaring into the box from the Retrievers, a collision with a UMBC player and Höfs saw the Colonials asking for a foul and the Retrievers asking for a penalty kick for a handball that happened at the same time. UMBC’s head coach was awarded a yellow card for yelling at the referee on the field.

The neutralizing goal came in the 55th minute, when UMBC senior midfielder Gregg Hauck headed the ball into the net off of another Retrivers free kick.

“When we conceded the goal I thought we responded well to that,” head coach Craig Jones said. “We could’ve folded a little bit or crumbled but I thought we showed some resilience and the determination to not concede again.”

GW’s last chance to capture a win in regular time came when Curry took a shot from the top of the penalty box that flew just over the crossbar and sent the game into overtime.

Jones said that heading into extra time, he wanted his team to stay focused and concentrate on getting a good chance to score without conceding another goal.

With four minutes left in the first overtime, the Retrievers thought they clinched the game when a shot that bounced off the post was redirected back into the net. The linesman called offside immediately, but UMBC’s bench was already cleared in celebration.

In the second overtime, the Colonials didn’t get a single shot. UMBC’s only shot came when freshman midfielder Matt Bailey took on the entire Colonials defensive line. His shot was easily saved by Höfs.

The Colonials hit the road Tuesday to play against their first ranked opponent of the year, No. 8 North Carolina. Kickoff is scheduled for 7 p.m.