University condemns Islamophobic fliers wrongly posted in YAF’s name

Islamophobic fliers designed to look like they were posted by GW’s Young America’s Foundation were discovered on campus Friday, according to the student group.

The posters made it appear as if YAF was hosting an “Islamo-Fascism Awareness Week” with the heading “Hate Muslims? So do we!,” according to a post on the organization’s website.

In a statement, YAF said the group had no connection with the fliers, calling them “childish, revolting and distasteful,” and said they were posted to undermine the organization and its conservative message.

“Of course, these ridiculous posters that attempt to paint all conservatives with a broad brush of racist xenophobia have no connection to GW YAF, and are just the latest attempt by disgruntled leftists to slow the advancement of conservative ideas at GW,” the organization wrote in the statement.

YAF urged officials to discipline whoever was responsible for posting the fliers.

“We are calling on GW to fully investigate these posters, and finally take a stand for conservative students who are continually the targets of acts of harassment, vandalism and defamation from liberal students,” the statement read.

The University was notified of the posters on Friday and they were immediately taken down. The University Police Department is investigating the incident, according to a statement Saturday.

“The University does not tolerate actions that make any member of the GW community feel unsafe. We expect that all our students, no matter what opinions they hold, will conduct themselves in the spirit of mutual respect that has long been a hallmark of this university,” officials wrote in the statement.