SA stands behind ‘Dreamers’ after DACA decision

The Student Association on Wednesday vowed to stand up for undocumented students who may lose their temporary legal status after President Donald Trump canceled an immigrant protection program.

“The Trump Administration’s decision to rescind DACA threatens to ruin the lives of many immigrants, including current and former GW students, who came to the United States as children and infants,” the SA wrote in a statement. “As a community, we must stand together in support of the basic and fundamental rights of Dreamers, who have made incredible contributions to society, both at the University and throughout the nation.”

The Trump administration ended the Obama-era Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals Program Tuesday with a six-month delay. The program shielded undocumented individuals who arrived in the U.S. as children – called ‘Dreamers’ – from deportation and allowed them to go to school or obtain a work permit.

Leading up to the announcement, University officials said they would continue to support undocumented students and would not change a policy not to ask applicants for their citizenship status.

University President Thomas LeBlanc said Tuesday that GW is a “better institution” because of Dreamer students on campus, which the SA quoted in its statement.

Officials said they are partnering with an outside immigration law firm, McClandish Holton, to offer free legal advice to affected students.

“As the University continues monitoring the status of DACA in the upcoming months, it is our responsibility as members of the GW community to stand alongside our undocumented students, while also remaining committed in advocating for diversity and inclusiveness,” the SA’s statement read. “To Dreamers at The George Washington University: you are always welcome here.”