Women’s soccer earns first win with shutout over American

Matt Dynes | Hatchet Staff Photographer

Women’s soccer broke it’s second-half scoring drought Sunday against American to collect its first win of the season.

After 55 scoreless minutes, the Colonials (1–2–1) put away their first and only goal of the day to sneak away with a 1–0 victory against the Eagles (1–5–0).

The game-winner came from freshman midfielder Alexis Williams. She deflected in a shot from freshman midfielder Tuhina Dasgupta, who had just beat American freshman goalkeeper Ryleigh Brown.

“When I saw the ball was coming I kind of just put my whole body in front of it and tried to slide in to get the goal,” Williams said.

Along with Williams and Dasgupta, seven of the 12 freshmen on the GW roster saw time on the field in the day’s match.

“They’ve been playing better in training sessions and I thought it was a good opportunity to kind of have them show what they can do,” head coach Sarah Barnes said. “Obviously that worked out with Tuhina to Lexi for the goal.”

The Colonials conceded no goals in the match after being outscored by opponents 7-1 leading into the game.

“The shots that I had to face were really from outside,” redshirt senior goalkeeper Miranda Horn said. “I didn’t have any breakaways or anybody getting in behind so [the defense] made my life easier.”

Horn earned her first clean sheet of the year and tallied six saves in the game.

The first scoring opportunity for GW came five minutes into the first half, when Williams crossed the ball to junior midfielder Sofia Pavon. Pavon’s shot across the front of the goal bounced off the back post and was collected by Brown.

Pavon and Williams combined for two of the team’s four shots on goal in the first half.

With six minutes left before the halftime horn, the Colonials found another chance when a cross from freshman midfielder Natalie Silberman slipped through the fingers of Brown. Sophomore forward Sheila Albertson’s shot that followed was deflected on its way out for a corner kick.

Despite outshooting the Eagles 5-4 in the opening 45 minutes, the game remained scoreless going into halftime.

“Especially in the first half we’re creating opportunities, we’re not putting them away,” Barnes said. “That keeps the game open and I think gives your opponent hope.”

American opened the second half by putting pressure on the Colonials defense. Three minutes after the break, the Eagles took a shot on goal that flew barely over the crossbar.

GW’s first scoring opportunity of the second half came when Pavon attempted a free kick from 25 yards out. Two minutes after the unsuccessful effort, Williams’ shot found the back of the net for her first career goal.

With less than two minutes left in the game, American had its final scoring opportunity when GW freshman midfielder Kelly Amador was given a yellow card about 30 yards from the Colonials goal. Eagles midfielder Kira Flaherty’s free kick went just wide of the net to solidify the GW victory.

After a day of strong defensive play, Barnes said that she expects even more improvement from the back line as the season progresses.

“I think that the goals that we’ve conceded up to this point, they’re mistakes that opponents have really been capitalizing on,” Barnes said. “I don’t think we’re that far off from being a really great defensive line. We’ve got to get them a little bit more experience.”

The Colonials will take on Towson (3-2-1) at home Thursday. The game is scheduled to start at 5 p.m.