Men’s basketball non-conference schedule features more home games, road challenges

Updated: Sept. 6, 2017 at 2:28 p.m.

Men’s basketball released its 2017-18 non-conference schedule Wednesday afternoon – 72 days before the season tips off.

The Colonials bring in nine newcomers after a 20-15 record in 2016-17 that featured a 10-8 conference slate and a quarterfinal exit from the College Basketball Invitational.

Although GW will play only two road games before Atlantic 10 action, the Colonials’ games outside the Smith Center could be a challenge. The two away games are both against teams that beat GW last year, the two games in Vegas could both be against NCAA tournament competitors and the final neutral site game will be against former A-10 rival Temple.

Before the season, GW will host an exhibition game with Fairmont State – a squad that reached the 2017 Division II National Championship. During last year’s tune-up game against Bowie State, the Colonials trailed for nearly 16 minutes and by 12 points before coming back and finishing with the win.

To open the regular season, GW will host crosstown rival Howard in the Smith Center Nov. 10. The Colonials are 7-1 all-time against the Bison, including a 79–62 win last December.

GW’s first road contest will be one of its toughest of the year against Florida State in Tallahassee. The Colonials fell to the Seminoles by 19 points after shooting just 22.6 percent throughout the game last December.

Florida State is one of the guaranteed four GW opponents that reached the NCAA tournament last March. The Seminoles lost to Xavier in the second round.

The Las Vegas Invitational brings Hampton and Rider to Foggy Bottom Nov. 18 and Nov. 20 respectively. GW has split its all-time record with both programs, but has not played Rider since 1972.

Another tough challenge for the Colonials will be on Thanksgiving Day against Xavier in Las Vegas. The Musketeers reached the Elite Eight last season and have come out ahead in three quarters of their games against GW in program history.

Depending on the outcome of the Xavier game, the Colonials will take on either Kansas State or Arizona State in the final game of the Las Vegas Invitational.

After a Nov. 29 game against Morgan State, GW will play Temple at the BB&T Classic Dec. 3. Last season the Colonials beat the Owls with a game-winning three pointer by former forward Tyler Cavanaugh.

On Dec. 6, Princeton comes to GW for the first time since 2009 when the Colonials picked up the victory. The Tigers are coming off a 23-7 record that was good enough for an NCAA tournament beat.

GW’s second and final road game of the year will be in State College, Pa. where the Colonials will get a rematch against Penn State after losing to the Nittany Lions by six points last November. Between 2014-15 and 2015-16 the two teams split their home-and-home with a win apiece.

Miami will come to D.C. to finish the back end of its home-and-home against the Colonials. GW lost to the Hurricanes in its final non-conference game last year, but hold the all-time advantage at three wins to one.

Before the A-10 season kicks off, the Colonials will host New Hampshire Dec. 20 and Harvard Dec. 23. This season will be the sixth matchup between GW and the Crimson since 2008 and the second consecutive year in which graduate student forward Patrick Steeves will play against his former team.

Although dates for conference games have not yet been released, the A-10 announced GW’s matchups for the remainder of the season.

The Colonials play Fordham, La Salle, Rhode Island and Saint Joseph’s at home while traveling to Dayton, Massachusetts, St. Bonaventure and Saint Louis between January and March.

GW will also play Davidson, Duquesne, George Mason, Richmond and VCU each twice – once at each university’s home court.

Non-conference games

Nov. 4 vs. Fairmont State (exhibition game) 
Nov. 10 vs. Howard

Nov. 14 at Florida State
Nov. 18 vs Hampton
Nov. 20 vs. Rider

Nov. 23 vs. Xavier in Vegas
Nov. 24 vs. Kansas State/Arizona State in Vegas
Nov. 29 vs. Morgan State
Dec. 3 vs Temple
Dec. 6 vs. Princeton
Dec. 9 at Penn State
Dec. 16 vs. Miami
Dec. 20 vs. New Hampshire
Dec. 23 vs. Harvard

Dec. 30 vs. Saint Joseph’s
Jan. 3 at Duquesne
Jan. 6 vs. Rhode Island
Jan. 10 at Davidson
Jan. 13 at Richmond
Jan. 17 vs. George Mason
Jan. 20 at VCU
Jan. 28 at St. Bonaventure
Jan. 31 vs. Duquesne
Feb. 3 vs. Davidson
Feb. 7 vs. La Salle

Feb. 10 at George Mason
Feb. 14 at Massachusetts
Feb. 17 vs. VCU
Feb. 21 vs. Richmond

Feb. 24 at Saint Louis
Feb. 28 vs. Fordham
March 3 at Dayton