Newsletters you’ll want to slide into your inbox this semester

Lisa Blitstein | Contributing Photo Editor
Start your morning with Politico’s Playbook newsletter to get the top political news of the day.

It’s no secret that a college student’s schedule is busy. When course readings pile up, it can be difficult to keep up with every story in the 24/7 news cycle. Luckily, email newsletters do all the dirty work for you. They trudge through the slew of information on the internet to just relay the highlights.

The Hatchet does just that with our weekly round-up newsletter, which delivers campus and community news right into your inbox. But now, we’ve taken it a step further and done the real grunt work by finding the other diamonds in the rough that you won’t want to miss.

Here are the gems worth hitting “subscribe” to receive.

Girls night in
This one’s for the ladies. Sometimes you need to take a break, treat yourself and sip rosé on the couch instead of cracking a cold one with the boys. If that’s the case, Girls’ Night In is a weekly newsletter you’ll look forward to getting every Friday. The email has articles exploring latest trends in television, fashion, food and R&R. You’ll want to forward this to your favorite homebody and invite your friends over for a girls night in, too.

Political news you can use
With neighbors that include the president and the federal government, you’ll want to know what’s happening right down the street. Whether you’re running to your 8 a.m. class, internship or just meeting a friend for coffee, you can be briefed on what’s driving the political news day. That’s where Politico’s Playbook comes in. The easy-to-read tipsheet is co-authored by Politico’s senior Washington correspondent Anna Palmer and two GW alumni, reporter Daniel Lippman and senior writer Jake Sherman. This is the email every D.C. insider, and insider wanna-be, clicks through daily.

Never to early to start “adulting”
If you’re looking for general advice on college or careers, The New York Times has a newsletter for you. Subscribe to The Edit for news organized by academic major, advice from experts in your field and tips on “adulting.” From dorm room essentials to “how-they-got-there” highlights, the newsletter, which goes out every other Monday, has news that’s timely, relevant and useful for college students looking for extra guidance. Whether you’re a first-year student or a soon-to-be grad, you’ll want to hit “subscribe” to get “All the News That’s Fit to Print” in your inbox.

World’s most interesting facts
Not everyone has wild stories to tell at each party they attend, but anyone can know the world’s most interesting facts. Whether you’re trying to become a trivia wiz or just looking to spice up your inbox, this is the daily newsletter for you. Impress your know-it-all friends or become one yourself by subscribing to Now I Know. The newsletter, written by Sesame Street’s Director of Digital Marketing Dan Lewis, utilizes a childlike curiosity to tell the stories behind everyday items, like how the turkey got its name and the story behind the fifth dentist that didn’t recommend Trident gum.