Women’s soccer allows goal in 87th minute, ties Liberty 1–1

Ethan Stoler | Contributing Photo Editor

Despite leading Liberty for 70 minutes in the team’s home opener Thursday night, women’s soccer gave up a late goal that evened up the score and sent the game into overtime. Neither squad found the back of the net thereafter and the contest ended in a 1–1 draw.

Liberty junior forward Devon Jones ended GW’s shutout effort in the 87th minute after her teammate found her foot through the Colonials defense.

The loss moved GW to 0-1-1 in the season after losing to Georgetown Sunday. The Colonials were tied with the Hoyas at the half before giving up four unanswered second-half goals.

“We have created really clear goal scoring opportunities in both games,” head coach Sarah Barnes said. “The good news is that we are creating them. Now it is just trying to be sharper in the final execution.”

Three freshmen found themselves in Thursday’s starting lineup. Defender Allie Nornes and midfielders Sara Messinger and Alexis Williams all logged more than 60 minutes in the game.

“I think the three who started today all showed really good moments,” Barnes said. “But they lack experiences so they just have to get that game experience by getting them more time in collegiate game.”

Seventeen minutes into the first half, the Colonials found the scoreboard after a through ball from senior forward Brittany Cooper connected with Sofia Pavon. The junior midfielder lobbed the ball past the keeper, giving GW a 1–0 lead.

Pavon, who was named Atlantic 10 Freshman of the Year in 2015, missed last season due to injury. She had three shots on net and played 80 minutes on the night.

“She is certainly such a gifted technical, tactical player and she has been a great addition to the team this year,” Barnes said. “As her fitness improves, she will execute at a higher percentage as we get through the season.”

Although GW jumped to an early lead in the match, the score remained knotted at the break. Both teams fought for possession in the middle of the field for the remainder of the first half.

With 45 minutes to play, the Colonials were being outshot by the Flames 5-7.

The Flames opened the second half of the game with high pressure from their offense wreaking havoc on the Colonials defense, with redshirt senior goalkeeper Miranda Horn making two saves in the first five minutes of the half. Horn ended the match with 12 saves.

With less than three minutes left in the match the Colonials looked ready to take home their first win of the 2017 season when Liberty’s offense finally found the scoreboard.

With one minute left, the Colonials had a chance to take back their lead with a late-game corner kick. Pavon battled for the ball in the penalty box but Liberty’s defense left her unable to get a shot off before the ball was cleared.

Overtime opened with high intensity from the Colonials, who dominated the first few minutes of the period. Pavon had an early look and the team had a free kick less than 25 yards out from the net but neither resulted in a goal.

“Today was disappointing because we felt that we were a little bit better of a team and we had so many more chances on goal,” Pavon said.

Women’s soccer returns to action next Thursday when they host LSU at 5 p.m.