Guard becomes first committed 2018 men’s basketball recruit

Guard Shandon Brown committed to men’s basketball Saturday afternoon. Brown posted a video on his Twitter account announcing his commitment to GW.

Brown, who is set to graduate from the New Hampton School in New Hampshire in 2018, is the first men’s basketball commit from the 2018 recruiting class.

The 5-foot-10-inch guard is set to take one of the four current scholarship spots that will open up next year after senior guard Yuta Watanabe and graduate student forwards Patrick Steeves and Bo Ziegler depart the program after this season. All three players are 6-foot-6-inches or taller.

Senior guard Jack Granger is also set to graduate next spring, but he is one of the Colonials’ three walk-ons for next year — leaving a fourth opening for next season since only 12 of the 15 roster members currently have a scholarship.

Brown will join a young backcourt in sophomore guard Jair Bolden, junior transfer Armel Potter, sophomore guard Justin Williams and freshmen guards Justin Mazzulla and Terry Nolan Jr.

The Roxbury, Mass. native also plays for the Boston Amateur Basketball Club, following in the footsteps of Mazzulla and former Colonial Kevin Marfo, who were also products of the team.

Brown announced on Twitter earlier this month that his list was narrowed down to GW and Quinnipiac.