Weekend outlook – Spend the last days of summer in a snow globe

Beat+the+heat+and+head+to+the+National+Harbor+for+a+winter+wonderland.+National+Harbor%E2%80%99s+Summer+Snow+Globe+opens+this+weekend+and+will+feature+live+music+from+an+indie+folk+group.+
Media Credit: Photo used under the Creative Commons License
Beat the heat and head to the National Harbor for a winter wonderland. National Harbor’s Summer Snow Globe opens this weekend and will feature live music from an indie folk group.

This weekend will be full of firsts. See local filmmakers’ work on the big screen at the first D.C. Black Film Festival or catch an indie concert in a giant snowglobe at National Harbor. But if you need a dose of familiarity, watch popular singers Shawn Mendes and Charlie Puth performing at the newly renamed Verizon Center, now dubbed the Capital One Arena.

Friday

D.C. Black Film Festival

D.C.’s first Black Film Festival kicks off this weekend with three days and nights of local film screenings. Each of the 52 films, both short and full length, in the festival are either created by or about people of African descent, according to their website. In addition to the film screenings throughout the weekend, panels like “Making Black Lives Matter Through Film” will also be part of the festival. The festival runs Thursday through Saturday with films shown in groups that have similar themes.

The Miracle Theater. 535 8th St. SE. 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. $15 per session.

Saturday

Shawn Mendes with Charlie Puth

Rising pop stars Shawn Mendes and Charlie Puth hit the stage at the newly renamed Capital One Arena, formerly the Verizon Center, this weekend. Puth, known for his songs “See You Again” and “We Don’t Talk Anymore,” will bring his soft vocals and electric feel, while Mendes will surely get you dancing in your seat with his upbeat, high-energy songs, like “Treat You Better” and “Stitches.”

Capital One Arena. 601 F St. 7:30 p.m. $85.

Sunday

Summer Snow Globe

Beat the heat and head to the National Harbor for a winter wonderland. National Harbor’s Summer Snow Globe opens this weekend and will feature live music from the indie folk group Magic Giant while snow falls around you. If the snowflakes aren’t enough to keep you cool in the D.C. heat, ice cold craft cocktails by Buffalo & Bergen will be served at the event, which is for ages 21 and older.

National Harbor. Waterfront Street and National Plaza, Oxon Hill, Md. Noon to 6 p.m. $25.