Three new staff members hired in Title IX office

Update: August 21, 2017 at 1:45 p.m.

GW has hired a new assistant director for sexual assault prevention and response, one of three new hires in its Title IX office, a University spokeswoman confirmed Monday.

Christina Franzino, who previously worked as a program assistant at the Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights, has already taken over the position, University spokeswoman Maralee Csellar said in an email.

Fanzino graduated from Kenyon College in Ohio in 2016 and has since worked in various sexual assault prevention advocacy organizations including It’s On Us, according to her LinkedIn page. GW joined the national It’s On Us campaign to stop sexual assault on college campuses in 2014.

Franzino will lead the University’s sexual assault prevention education for students, faculty and staff. She will also direct the community’s response to cases of sexual violence and advocate on behalf of students, according to a University release.

“Everyone has a role to play in ending campus sexual violence, and I’m excited to engage the GW community in this goal,” Franzino said in the release.

The position was previously held by Carrie Ross, who resigned in January.

The University also hired Kiera Bloore as a Title IX investigator and Herbertia Gilmore as a case manager in the Title IX office, according to the release.

The two new positions were announced in January after Ross’ departure.

Bloore, who previously worked as an attorney at a survivor recovery organization in the District, will conduct investigations of alleged Title IX violations regarding sexual harassment, sexual violence, relationship violence and stalking, according to the release.

“I strongly believe in the ability of Title IX programs to provide tangible benefits to campus communities when they are conducted appropriately,” Bloore said in the release. “I want to be a part of improving and strengthening GW’s Title IX program and making it one the entire campus community feels is fair and reliable.”

Gilmore will provide all parties to a Title IX case or potential case with more information and options including updates on the status of a case and referrals to other resources on or off campus. She was most recently the deputy Title IX coordinator at George Mason University in Virginia, according to the release.

The new hires come as the University faces a federal Title IX investigation over its handling of a sexual violence complaint.

In a Facebook post last week, Students Against Sexual Assault said the organization looks forward to working with Franzino “to improve survivor services and support and to facilitate better communications between SASA, survivors, and the GW administration.”

The Title IX office has faced high turnover in recent years. Prior to these new hires, Title IX Coordinator Rory Muhammed was the only permanent full-time staff member in the office.