Weekend outlook – Snap along to the rhythm at a poetry slam

A poetry slam, hosted by local spoken word poet and author 2Deep, will feature poets from amateurs to professionals at Busboys and Poets as they perform in two competitive rounds Friday night.

Spend the weekend outside your comfort zone by stepping on to the stage at a poetry slam or working out at an outdoor bootcamp class. But if you’d rather just observe, then sit back in the audience at an off-Broadway production of “Big Fish.”

Friday

11th Hour Poetry Slam Hosted by 2Deep the Poetess

Busboys and Poets’ poetry slam will have you on your feet snapping for oral poets – even if you slept through poetry readings in high school. The poetry slam, hosted by local spoken word poet and author 2Deep, will feature poets from amateurs to professionals as they perform in two competitive rounds. A panel of judges score each poet and eliminate poets until they choose a winner based on performance, content and the audience’s reaction.

Busboys and Poets. 2021 14th St. NW. 11 p.m. to 1 a.m. $5 at the door.

Saturday

Bootcamp and Health Food Tasting

If you need extra incentive to get to a Saturday morning workout session, this combined bootcamp workout and tasting session is made for you. Following a scenic, strenuous outdoor workout at Canal Park, you can enjoy a tasting of local health foods and drinks at Up Top Acres rooftop farm. Edible DC Magazine will collaborate with trainers from Cut Seven, a D.C. gym, to assemble health foods from various vendors to help you refuel after the workout. Get samples from campus favorites like Sweetgreen and Beefsteak or try tastings from Fruitive, Takorean and Rujero Singani. All profits will be donated to the Anacostia Watershed Society, which is dedicated to the preservation of the Anacostia River.

Canal Park, 200 M St. SE. 9 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. $12.

Sunday

Big Fish

You may have seen Tim Burton’s movie “Big Fish,” or maybe you read the book by Daniel Wallace, but now is your chance to experience the story in a Broadway musical adaptation. The play follows traveling salesman Edward Bloom, who has a knack for sharing his crazy life stories with others. When Bloom’s son Will seeks out the truth in his father’s larger-than-life stories, an uplifting tale ensues. Grab a seat at this cozy and historic theater for an entertaining off-Broadway show.

The Keegan Theatre, 1742 Church St. NW. 3 p.m. Tickets $45 for ages 25 and under.