About 90 percent of House offices don’t pay interns, report finds

D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser said she would maintain D.C.’s sanctuary city status, despite an executive order from Trump that would rip funding from such cities.

Students working in Congressional offices without bringing home a paycheck aren’t alone, according to an investigation by the news website Mic.

About 8 percent of the 435 House of Representatives offices regularly offer paid internships, including about 10 percent of Republican offices and 4 percent of Democratic offices, according to the report, published this week.

Less than 14 percent of House interns are paid even factoring in offices that provide some paid and some unpaid internships or direct interns to outside funding and scholarships, according to the report.

The study follows a June report from the labor advocacy group Pay Our Interns, which found that 8 percent Republican and 3.6 percent Democratic House offices pay their interns.

On the other side of the Capitol, less than half of senators give their interns a paycheck, according to another investigation from Mic published in March.

At the same time, those interning in D.C. over the summer are likely to spend more than $6,000 during their stay, according to the report. At GW, about two-thirds of undergraduate students complete internships — with Capitol Hill being among the most popular destinations.

The University offers about 12,000 internship opportunities each year.