Dish of the week: Neopol Savory Smokery’s avocado BLT

Many+of+the+menu+options+at+Neopol+Savory+Smokery+offer+a+savory+twist+on+classic+dishes%2C+just+like+avocado+BLT+%28%247.95%29.+
Olivia Anderson | Photo Editor
Many of the menu options at Neopol Savory Smokery offer a savory twist on classic dishes, just like avocado BLT ($7.95).

As you walk into Union Market, more than 40 vendors greet you with an eclectic variety of options. But if you’re looking for a smokery with an array of sandwiches then there is one clear choice.

Neopol Savory Smokery, a small stall located within the market, has a diverse menu with a rotating selection of smoked foods, gourmet sandwiches and fresh salads. The shop offers seafood, meat and vegetarian options.

Their menu has something for everyone from a creamy smoked egg salad sandwich ($7.95) to their smoked salmon bagel ($10.50). Neopol stands out from other vendors for their savory twists on classic dishes, like their avocado BLT ($7.95).

The BLT proportions are just right and the ingredients are fresh. There’s garden-fresh lettuce, which adds a crisp element to the sandwich, and juicy tomato that bursts with flavor. Finally, there’s thick, crispy bacon that is piled high in the sandwich.

But the star of the sandwich is the creamy avocado that adds a tasty twist to a classic.

Neopol does not skimp on any of these ingredients. This sandwich is stuffed with enough bacon, lettuce, tomato, onion and avocado to keep you full through lunch and dinner. All of these elements are served on lightly toasted white sandwich bread.

After you finish off the final bites, you’ll be wanting more. Loop around Union Market and make another stop at Neopol to buy a second sandwich for the next day.

Union Market is located at 1309 5th St. NE. Prices at Neopol Savory Smokery range from $4.50 to $11.