Anthropology professor receives NEH grant to write for broad readership

President Donald Trump previously announced plans to cut funding for the National Endowment for the Humanities, but the agency continues to support humanities projects across the nation, including at GW.

The NEH announced $39 million in grants for 245 different humanities projects Wednesday. Sarah Wagner, an associate professor of anthropology, was among 28 of those recipients who received a public scholar grant to write specifically for a general audience outside of academia.

Wagner, who was also named a Guggenheim fellow this year, will receive $50,400 to fund the completion of her newest book, “Bringing Them Home: Identifying and Remember Vietnam War MIAS,” which examines the effort to locate and commemorate U.S. soldiers missing in action from the Vietnam War.

Earlier this year, Trump’s proposed budget cuts to the NEH, the National Endowment for the Arts and the National Institutes of Health worried some professors about potential and future cuts to their research projects.

Wagner is one of the 28 authors selected for this year’s Public Scholar Program. The program, which launched in 2015, aims to promote and support the creation of scholarly nonfiction books that can be more accessible to the general population.