Admissions office creates new counselor advisory group

The Office of Admissions formed a new advisory group this summer to expand their outreach to high school counselors, the top official in the admissions office said Tuesday.

The group will communicate with the Office of Enrollment Management and Retention to provide advice on how to connect with college-bound high school students from all backgrounds, Costas Solomou, the dean of undergraduate admissions, said. The advisory group is comprised of counselors from secondary schools and community colleges and other community leaders, he said.

“Feedback from these outside experts will provide us with information to consider as we continue to make enhancements to our admissions process,” he said.

The counselors will also learn about the University’s admissions process, which includes access and affordability, Solomou said in an email.

Solomou first announced the advisory group in a tweet last month.

“We look forward to engaging in meaningful dialogue around higher education,” he wrote.

The admissions website also added a counselor resource site, which encourages readers to connect with the University to help with application related topics like mock college interviews and essay writing workshops, he said.

The new webpage also lists counselor programs, like “Pathway to GW” and “GW Next Door,” visiting options and quick-fact materials.