GW loses title of most politically active campus in nation

After a four-year streak, GW lost its title as the most politically active campus in the nation in the annual Princeton Review college rankings.

GW dropped to 10th on the list of “Most Politically Active Students,” falling below American University, which rose to No. 4. Columbia University snatched the top spot on the list.

Last year, GW was the only D.C.-area university to be ranked above 15th.

The rankings were based on students’ response to the survey question: “My level of political awareness is: Very high, high, average, low or very low,” according to The Princeton Review.

The label “most politically active campus” became a celebrated title at GW, often touted by adminstrators and inspired the name of the popular student-launched Facebook memes group.

The drop in rankings comes even as students have remained invested in the major political developments of the past year. President Donald Trump’s victory in last year’s presidential election led to protests and vigils on campus.

In January, students were front and center at Trump’s inauguration and the ensuing Women’s March, which attracted at least half a million demonstrators to the District.

GW didn’t rank in any of the other categories in Princeton Review’s rankings.

The University dropped off the list of “College City Gets High Marks,” where it ranked as No. 7 last year and No. 2 the year prior. American University ranked No. 3 in that category this year.