Students to stay in nearby hotels for Fulbright Hall renovations

Fulbright and Francis Scott Key halls will shut down this summer to receive upgrades. Five other residence halls – JBKO, Merriweather, Clark, Cole and Hensley halls – will remain open over the summer but will receive minor upgrades.

Updated: August 1, 2017 at 3:00 p.m.

About 100 students assigned to Fulbright Hall will stay in nearby hotels while renovations wrap up on the dorm, the University announced in a release Monday.

Students living on the top four floors in Fulbright will move into either One Washington Circle or Renaissance Dupont Circle hotels on move-in day, according to an email sent to those residents and obtained by The Hatchet. Residents of those floors will transition back into their assigned rooms in Fulbright between Sept. 2 and Sept. 16, according to a recently posted frequently asked questions page on the housing website.

Officials said contractors ran into unexpected problems while the residence hall was closed during the summer for upgrades, adding additional time to the project. Renovation plans included new floors and windows, as well as new furniture and bathroom upgrades.

“Construction schedules are designed to accommodate a reasonable amount of additional work,” the email said. “However, earlier this month contractors uncovered unforeseen conditions requiring added work to the concrete foundations within the bathrooms beyond what had been initially planned for and projected.”

Officials said students would not be charged any additional fees for the accommodations.

Students living in the lower floors of Fulbright with early move-in dates will temporarily stay in other residence halls because the building will not be ready for occupancy until Aug. 26, according to the website.

Officials said in the email that residents in the lower floors will be able to move in on Aug. 26, but renovations will be ongoing for the first three weeks of the semester for final repairs, such as tiling and painting. Minor construction will take place from Monday through Saturday between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m., while any “potentially disruptive work” will take place after 8 a.m. on weekdays and 9 a.m. on weekends, according to the website.

The University is providing pre-paid laundry and $50 worth of additional dining cash as compensation for residents on the first four floors of the building to thank residents for their patience, according to the email.

Renovations for Fulbright as well as other halls were announced in 2013 as part of a five-year renovation plan.

The email to students in Fulbright was signed by David Dent, assistant vice president of campus facilities, Seth Weinshel, the director of housing, and Stewart Robinette, the assistant dean of residential engagement.

This post was updated to reflect the following correction.
The Hatchet incorrectly reported when residents would begin to transition back into their rooms. It is now correct. We regret this error.