GW to pilot new Common App self-reporting grade feature

The University will be one of seven colleges and universities to pilot the Common Application’s new self-reporting grade feature for the 2017-18 application cycle, according to the Common App’s website.

The feature, titled “Courses & Grades,” will allow students to self-report transcript information when they fill out their Common Application in order “to make the process of providing this information more standardized and streamlined for students and their counselors,” according to the Common App. The feature will debut Tuesday, when the Common App opens for this year’s applicants.

All students who apply to the University must complete the Courses & Grades section, but their high schools will still be required to submit official transcripts.

Only one of GW’s peer institutions, the University of Southern California, will also pilot the Courses & Grades feature. Other participating universities include Ohio State, Purdue and West Virginia universities.

The new section was developed using feedback from higher education institutions, high school students and counselors, according to the Common App website.

“The Common App hosted a series of student and counselor focus groups with beta testing to determine how to make the self-reported transcript process accessible and efficient,” the website said.