Barry King named water polo’s new head coach

Barry King, who served as head coach at the women’s water polo program at Indiana for 19 years, will take over as head coach of both men’s and women’s water polo, the athletic department announced Monday.

“I am very excited to explore the competitive possibilities with both the men and women,” King said in a University release. “On a daily basis, we will maximize our experience by the fullness of our effort. We will compete at the highest level possible.”

Both programs have been without anyone at the helm since former head coach Adam Foley resigned his positions in May. Assistant coach David Carson – who joined Foley’s staff in 2015 – remains on both rosters in the same role.

King comes to GW after spending 19 years coaching women’s water polo at Indiana where he led the team to a 426-255-2 overall record. The Hoosiers won five conference championships during his tenure, including three in the College Water Polo Association – the conference GW is in. He resigned his position in Bloomington in the spring of 2016.

“He took Indiana from a club program to one that competed regularly for conference championships and he will be a great fit to lead GW Water Polo to new heights,” Director of Athletics and Recreation Patrick Nero said in the release. “His experience coaching in our conference and leading IU to six national championship appearances will serve our student-athletes well.”

King joins a men’s team that finished 15-11 in 2016, including going 8-2 in conference action and defeating two ranked opponents. Although the Colonials graduated central defender Bogdan Petkovic as a key contributor in the pool, the roster features the other 11 of the top 12 point leaders and both of the featured goaltenders.

The women’s side did not fare as well, but the team’s 13th consecutive losing season in 2017 was still an improvement from the year prior. The Colonials lost each of their last 15 games after starting the season 13-4. King will inherit an experienced women’s team with all of the top nine goal scorers and all three goaltenders returning from last season’s team.

Men’s water polo will likely begin its regular season in about a month, but the team’s schedule has yet to be released.