Alumnus to serve as interim prime minister of Pakistan

An alumnus was proposed as interim prime minister of Pakistan Saturday.

Shahid Khaqan Abbasi, who received his master’s degree in electrical engineering from GW in 1985, is expected to take over for ousted Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif after a parliamentary vote this week, USA Today reported Saturday. Pakistan’s Supreme Court ordered Sharif’s removal Friday after an investigation of his finances showed unreported income.

Sharif proposed Abbasi, who was serving as minister for petroleum, as interim prime minister at the meeting of Pakistan Muslim League party in Islamabad Saturday and the proposal was endorsed by lawmakers from his party.

Abbasi, 58, said he will “continue the mission” of Sharif and is grateful for the opportunity, even though it will only be for a brief period, Time reported Saturday.

Pakistan’s majority party, the Pakistan Muslim League, is expected to vote Abbasi – Sharif’s long-time ally – into the country’s top position Tuesday. Abassi is expected to “easily win” the majority vote when the National Assembly meets this week, according to Time.

If elected, the alumnus will serve as a transition between Sharif and his brother, Shahbaz, who is expected to win a by-election and take over as prime minister within the next 50 days, according to USA Today. The next general election will be held in June 2018.