SASA requests meeting with Secretary of Education

Students Against Sexual Assault released a public letter Thursday requesting a meeting with Education Secretary Betsy DeVos and Candice Johnson, the acting assistant secretary of the Office of Civil Rights.

SASA joined students and advocacy groups across the country who have written letters to DeVos and Johnson demanding they hold more meetings with sexual assault survivors. SASA leaders said that DeVos has not done enough to understand survivors and requested a meeting to share their experiences.

“Although we understand that you met with a few survivors last week, we do not believe that a single meeting is sufficient to understand the impact of sexual assault on survivors’ educations,” SASA leaders said in the letter.

The letter outlined past work that SASA has done to help sexual assault survivors on campus, including advocating for policy changes from administrators and holding more than 50 educational workshops on sexual assault prevention last semester.

SASA leaders said they want to meet with both DeVos and Johnson to share their experiences and explain how the Department of Education’s policies will impact survivors at GW and the support system that SASA provides for them.

“We believe it would benefit you to meet with a student organization that spends its time educating fraternities, sports teams, and other student groups on the basics of consent and the prevalence of sexual violence on our campus,” SASA leaders said.

The letter was signed by Bailey Bystry, vice president of SASA, and Gavin Coble, the director of policy outreach.