Weekend outlook – Catch a free show by a Comedy Central star at the Kennedy Center

Free tickets to a stand-up performance by comedian Aparna Nancherla at the Kennedy Center will be distributed on a first-come, first-serve basis.

Impress your foodie friends with a history lesson on Southern cuisine Friday, then spend the rest of your weekend watching a free comedy show at the Kennedy Center or honoring Belgian National Day with food and drink specials.

Friday

Cajun and Creole Food Traditions

If you’re craving a taste of Southern food and a quick history lesson, check out Cooking Up History, a monthly culinary history demonstration program at the Smithsonian National Museum of American History. You’ll explore the similarities and differences between Cajun and Creole cuisines and learn how a convergence of cultures shaped each culinary tradition. The event will feature Louisiana native chef David Gaus of Bayou Bakery in Arlington, who will be signing copies of his baking book “Dam Good Sweet” after the demonstration.

Smithsonian National Museum of American History, 14th St. and Constitution Ave. NW. 2 p.m. to 3 p.m. Free.

Saturday

Aparna Nancherla & Friends Stand-Up Performance

Catch a free stand-up performance by comedian Aparna Nancherla and featuring Jo Firestone and Chris Duffy, both regular performers in New York City’s Upright Citizens Brigade. You may recognize Nancherla from her roles on Comedy Central’s “Inside Amy Schumer” and Netflix’s “Love.” She also recently wrote for NBC’s “Late Night with Seth Meyers,” and she hosts the popular underground New York comedy show, “Whiplash.” The performance, which is part of the District of Comedy Festival, will distribute free tickets in the States Gallery starting at 5 p.m. on a first-come, first-serve basis.

Millennium Stage at the Kennedy Center, 2700 F St. NW. 6 p.m. Limit 2 tickets per person. Free.

Sunday

Belgian National Day at City Tap

Give a nod to Belgian National Day by drinking Belgian-style beers. City Tap Penn Quarter will host a 40-draft tap takeover by Brewery Ommegang to showcase the brewery’s Belgian-style beverages. The event kicks off Friday and runs all weekend long, featuring native beer specials and food, including Belgian waffles, croquettes and other Belgian imports.

City Tap House Penn Quarter, 901 9th St. NW. 11:30 a.m. to 11 p.m. Free entry.