Trump nominates alumni for Army secretary, FEMA administrator

President Donald Trump nominated two alumni to key administration posts Wednesday.

Mark Esper, who received his doctorate degree in public policy from the University in 2008, was appointed secretary of the U.S. Army. Esper is a former executive at the defense contractor Raytheon and a graduate of Harvard University and the United States Military Academy, according to a White House release.

Esper, who is Trump’s third nominee for the position after the first two were forced to withdraw, spent 21 years serving in the National Guard and received the Legion of Merit, Bronze Star and Meritorious Service Medals. Later in his career he served as deputy secretary of defense.

Trump also tapped Daniel Kaniewski to be deputy administrator for national preparedness at the Federal Emergency Management Agency. He was a senior fellow at the University’s Center for Cyber and Homeland Security.

Before the Trump administration, Kaniewski served under President George W. Bush first as director of response and recovery policy and then as special assistant to the president for homeland security.

Kaniewski has two degrees from GW, a bachelor’s degree in emergency medical services earned in 2000 and a doctorate degree in public policy and administration from 2011, according to his bio page on the University’s website. `

While at GW, Kaniewski founded the Homeland Security Policy Institute designed as a think tank focused only on homeland security. He served as the deputy director of the institute, according to the website.

He was the assistant vice president for homeland security at GW, overseeing the homeland security institute and other University initiatives focused on national security.