HR develops new online training system for faculty, staff

Faculty and staff now have access to a new online learning management system that brings professional training together in one program.

The system, called Talent@GW—Learning, launched Tuesday, giving faculty and staff access to training materials, online courses and instructional videos, according to a University release. Employees can also sign-up for in-person training using the program.

“Talent@GW—Learning is a one-stop shop for GW’s staff and faculty professional development opportunities,” Dale McLeod, the interim vice president of the University’s human resources department, said in the release. “The system will help improve access to professional development resources and training, increase the focus on career growth and development at GW and support performance-related goals across all areas of the university.”

The program will be more centralized than the existing SkillsPort system. The human resources department developed the portal to help faculty with career development and management of various training programs, according to the release.

“In the past, employees and their managers have had to use disconnected systems and outdated paper forms in order to take advantage of these services,” a post announcing the program on the human resource department’s website stated.

Information tracking which staff trainings were complete was often inaccurate in the past because employee data was not properly integrated, according to the website.

The program also offers different departments the opportunity to create a training process to manage new employees or to provide career information to existing faculty. Managers can assign employees training, but the system also gives users access to more than 1,000 training topics.

In the next two years the University plans to launch five other Talent@GW modules including recruiting, succession management and performance management. More information will be released to faculty as the modules are developed, according to the release.

All GW employees will use the new systems by 2019.